Wednesday, September 2, 2015

First Day of School - Grade 2


Yesterday was Grady's first day of Grade 2.  Even as a parent I find I am nervous for the first day of school.  The friends (or lack of) and the teacher can make a huge difference on the type of year that your child has.  And all we want as parents is the best for our kids, right?

Grady has been so fortunate to have his BFF (who lives across the street) in his class for the last 2 years.  We were pretty sure that was not going to happen this year.  His teacher told us way back last fall that the boys were causing problems in class.  We started telling Grady this early on so he wasn't expecting to have his buddy in his class this year.

There were four of them in Grade 1 that were friends, the sporty group, as the teacher referred to them.  I could only hope that she would split them 2 and 2.  And she did.

We got the email on Friday after noon from his teacher, but no class list.  I promptly emailed the moms to see if anyone got the same teacher and one did, not his BFF, but a good friend and Grady was happy.

As we walked to school in the morning, the boys were excited.  The excitement faded into nervous the moment they separated to find their respective teachers.  I got a really positive vibe from our teacher, while I heard she is the 'strict' one, I think she will be good for Grady.

There are 5 grade 2 classes at his school, so there were 125ish kids and all had at least one adult with them.  Grady had 3 plus Cooper.  There were a lot of people at the gathering spot.  It always amazes me that when I went back to pick him up at the end of the day there was hardly anyone.  Where did all the parents go?

I think this year will be good for Grady.  The first 2 years I was really concerned about him having a friend and whether he would make friends if he didn't know anyone.  Without his best bud, he is being forced to make new friends and branch out a bit.  It will be good for him.

As a bonus, him and his BFF have classroom right next door and a window that looks between the classes.  They take social studies together and eat lunch together.   It will be a good transition for them both.  And you should have heard them talking about their day on the walk home   A great reminder that they don't need to be in the same class to stay BFFs.

I met my BFF in kindergarten and looks like Grady may have as well.


6 comments:

Shaunacey Bonneville said...

yay for BFFs! Hopefully they make out okay with the 'strict' teacher :)

Baby Nicholas said...

From Nicholas' Mom: What a great first day! Wishing Grady a great year of Grade 2! a little separation can enjoy your time together even more!

Deena @Shoes to Shiraz said...

I love that he has a BFF with him on his street. I hope they bike around the neighbourhood before school, like we did.

Unknown said...

125 grade 2 kids? That's insane!! Finley's school has 3 of each grade and I thought that was crazy. I went to Vincent Massey until Grade 6 and we only had one of each grade hahaha

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

sorry i had no idea greg logged into his gmail account on here hahahaha it's me but you probably knew that :)