James and I took a mini vacay to San Francisco without the kids to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. It was a great trip. We saw everything we wanted to see in the first 4 days. So we kind of had a bonus day to end our time away.
This was the longest we've been away from the kids in a long time. We've mastered the 2, and even 3, nights away, but somehow 5 nights seemed like a long time. I missed the kids. A lot. Both James and I agreed we could have come home a day earlier. Live and learn.
This was the longest we've been away from the kids in a long time. We've mastered the 2, and even 3, nights away, but somehow 5 nights seemed like a long time. I missed the kids. A lot. Both James and I agreed we could have come home a day earlier. Live and learn.
One other thing we learned was that we will never travel in September again. Ever. I feel like we missed so much while we were away. We missed 4 hockey evaluations between the 2 kids and a school picnic. Everything is new and exciting for the kids right now and I wanted to share in their excitement and hear all about their days.
Kids activities aside, we had a great time and saw as much of San Fran as we could in the days we were there.
You'll notice that the post is lacking in pictures. James is not a big photo taker, whether it be taking the photo or being in the photo. It is what it is and after 10 years I'm used to it! It allowed us to fully enjoy the moment, I guess.
We arrived on the 10th, our actual anniversary, and booked a dinner on the bay, steps from our hotel called Scoma's. It was supposed to be the best seafood in San Fran, we thought it was ok. Very old school in appearance and service. We were by far the youngest couple In there.
![]() |
| Can you tell it was windy and sunny? |
During dinner, we overheard the couple beside us telling the waiter it was their anniversary. Later in the evening I asked them about it. The tables were that close. They were celebrating their 26th anniversary on the very same day. It was ironic that we happened to be sitting beside each other. They were locales that made the trip to the bay specifically to eat at Scoma's. We decided it must have been their second marriage because the hubby was very old.
During dinner, we answered a series of questions that we plan to open on our 15th. I wish we would have done that 5 years ago. I'm already excited to open up the envelope with all our answers in 5 years.
During dinner, we answered a series of questions that we plan to open on our 15th. I wish we would have done that 5 years ago. I'm already excited to open up the envelope with all our answers in 5 years.
We chose to stay right at fishermans wharf filled with lots of tourists and tourist shops. When given the chance to stay on the water it is always what we choose. We were right on the Main street and steps away from most things we wanted to do. Some would say it was too many steps but we enjoyed seeing the city on foot. I really wished we had a Fit Bit for this trip because I think we killed it on our steps! Most active vacation we've ever had.
What was supposed to be an couple hours turned into an all day event including an estimated 30k bike ride. Most importantly, we bikes over the Golden Gate Bridge. It was quite foggy that morning but we did get a few great shots.
By day four we'd hit the major tourist attractions. Since James didn't have any suggestions, I decided we would take a cable car. James was grumpy about the $7 one way fair each. Seriously? You can't go to San Fran and not ride a cable car.
![]() |
| I remember there being grass in the show credits, not a big dirt pile. |
We ended our trip at a Giants baseball game. It was a beautiful stadium and the hot dog was pretty tasty.
It was a chilly night and I did not pack appropriately for the weather so I was wearing a tank, a tee, a long sleeved shirt, a jacket, a scarf, and finally James hoodie. How can I be Canadian and so cold all the time! I enjoyed a yummy hot chocolate
I complained a lot about being cold. This happened on a trip to San Diego once as well. The temp says mid 20s and it feels about 10 degrees. I wish I would have packed more warm clothes. That is my biggest regret - no one is happy when they are chilled to the bone. That brings me to my sole purchase of the trip, a winter scarf!
Another random fact about San Fran, it smelled like pot everywhere. People just smoked it on the street, morning or night. Isn't it illegal in Cali? No one seemed to notice much, or care.
My favorite thing we did? The bike ride, hands down. I loved all the activity that balanced out all the eating and drinking we did. What a way to see the bridge!
My final thoughts on the city? It is very interesting. I love the hills, the scenery, the location relative to the water, the way they promote being active with bike paths, the cafes, and the list goes on. What I didn't like, the weather. I'm a hot weather kind of gal. While James would argue with me that it wasn't that bad, I was chilled to the bone. I hate being cold. I am so happy to have visited the city and hit up all the tourist attractions but I can't say I would rush back. Take me to the beach please!
You may wonder what the kids were up to while we were away? Well, grandma was taking very good care of them and getting them to school and all their activities. She provided very detailed updates and I nearly peed my pants after reading the following text on our first full day away:
So Cooper and I went to superstore to buy a toothbrush as I forgot mine. We came out and went to the van and just my luck, I couldn't get the doors to open. The little red light came on but it was dull. What were the odds the batteries would die on me. I ask Cooper if this was the right van. He said ya that was his car seat. I lifted him up to make sure. I tried every button just hoping one would work, tried the key- nothing. We were just getting ready to walk home when I thought hey there's no scratch on this van. I turn around and right behind us is a van with the trunk open, the side doors opened and the windows down. Omg I couldn't believe it. I couldn't help laughing all day. Damn, Cooper was so convincing it was the right van. hahahah.I was so happy that my Mom was able to spend a full week with the kids. Let's hope she feels the same. She really got a glimpse into our daily lives and the lively personality of our 2 boys. I had such a great relationship with my grandma growing up I love to see the one my mom has with our boys. Even when they fart all the time and try to lift up her shirt. She had her hands full!
Thanks Mom - couldn't have made it work without you! Can we book you again for next year?












3 comments:
Looks like an awesome time!
Is it wrong that I already can't wait until Oliver is old enough that Brent and I can get away for a few days lol? This looks like so so much fun!
I told you it is freezing there!!!! I loved alcatraz too and also want to watch that movie now!! Very ambitious of you to bike the bridge, we rode across on an open air bus and I thought i was going to be frozen to death before we got across one way!! And the cable car lineup was so long we passed and went shopping instead.
Post a Comment