Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Learning to say No

I am a yes person.  I want to to please people, I don't like to disappoint or cause conflict.  That makes me a yes person.  Sometimes it gets me into trouble.

Last week I was thrilled about being back at the rink and managing Cooper's team.  I was in my element and I knew what I was doing.  This past weekend, no one volunteered for Grady's team.  I waited.  The coach sent out 3 emails begging for a volunteer. Nothing.  Finally, I responded.   I told him I couldn't do it on my own but I would help.  Two others came forward after me.  I should have kept my mouth shut.

This week I am overwhelmed.  I can't even count the number of hockey emails that are flooding my inbox and the things I have to learn about managing a Novice team.  I've had a feeling in the pit of my stomach and my chest telling me I've taken on too much.  I am overwhelmed with new responsibilities.

If you know me, I am an organizer and out of the 3, I took charge and started delegating.  The good news is I kept what I wanted to do and handed out the rest of the tasks.  Thankfully the team is full of helpers, but no one wanted to be in charge.  Sigh....  I really didn't want to be either.

I need to learn how to say no.  Not only that, I have to learn to not feel guilty about it.  I can't always be the one to volunteer when no one else will do it.  I have to stop feeling guilty if I don't want to step up all the time.  I have to learn to say no.

I am also not a quitter.  I will get through the next 9 months with a smile on my face as I manage 2 hockey teams and also act as Grady's class rep.  Next year I will do 1 of these jobs and pat myself on the back for saying no.

On a brighter note, we got our photos back, Tomie is the best, 2 days later and I get my sneak peak.  I love how they turned out.  Yes, Yes, YES!!!  For those of you that wanted to see the finished product with the dress - voila!




Happy Hump Day!

No comments: