Tuesday, December 13, 2016

The Weekend we Hosted 2 Tournaments

I have been dreading this weekend every since the day we found out that both kids would be playing in separate tournament the same weekend. Not only did they have 7 games between the 2 of them but I also had many hours of volunteer time to put in since our teams were hosting both tournaments and being treasurer comes with its own set of extra duties....  We worked together, got both kids to all but one of their games and celebrated the successes of our kids.  Even if they didn't always win.

I sported my Hockey Mom tuque proudly all weekend, first because it was totally relevant with the number of hours I was at the rink, and second because it was freakin' cold outside all darn weekend!


Let's start with Grady.


Can I just say I love watching Grady play? When Gray asks me what my favorite team is I tell him Trails West Novice 2 and he doesn't believe me.  No Mom, a real team.    For me, I would rather watch a team of passionate 7 and 8 year olds, including my own, then watch an NHL game.  I never imagined that I would be such a 'hockey mom' but I am in the crowd jumping out of my chair and ringing my bell in full force.

This season we have been on a winning team.  Until this tournament, we had only lost 1 game.  In our league we are doing very well. What I've learned is that when you aren't challenged by the other team you don't always play your best.  Grady's team lost their first game on Saturday morning by not playing their hardest in the first 2 periods only to start playing in the third to close the 4 goal spread to a final score of 5-4.  We actually missed this game, but that is beside the point.  These kids came out playing to win in their second game on Saturday. They played their hearts out.  In the end they lost, but it was one of the best games I've watched them play to date.

Grady walked away with the hard hat for best hustle.  I was so proud of him as he really deserved the award.  He was on defense, and while that isn't his favorite position he gave it his all.


Moving on to Cooper....


Cooper's tournament was a little more intense then on the volunteer side.  It was an 18 team tournament hosted by the 6 Sr Timbit teams in our association.  I tried to not get involved too much in this one since I had zero tournament experience, but when the tournament treasurer quit, I put my hand up to take over the duties. 

Cooper played 3 games and I only actually got to watch 1. You see, Cooper's tournament had a silent action of 48 teams and when those bid sheets got ripped off the table at 2pm sharp my job really started.   We started calling all of the 48 winners and telling them they had to be at the rink by 8pm to pick up their items with cash of cheque in hand.  As the payments arrived we were busy reconciling cash and cheques and managing the inventory.  At the end of the day only 2 items were left behind.  We are still deciding how to handle that.  This tournament was a big job that was a huge success because of hours and hours put in by the parents.  The things we do for our kids.....

As a fun little game at the front desk for $0.25 you could guess how many chocolates were in the bin.  Grandma used her math skills to come up with a calculated guess of 233.  Grady guessed 237.  Hours later I got a text from a mom on our team that Grady had given her son the CORRECT number of chocolates and her son also put that number.  You see both of us knew the correct number as it was texted to us by another volunteer.  She was sure that the boys cheated.  I am sure that he based his gues on Grandma's guess.  I convinced her to give them the chocolate and we had 2 happy boys!

To say I was exhausted yesterday at spending all day at the rink would be an understatement. To top it off, I had to work on Monday, and I slept in by accident....  I'm glad I did it but I'm also glad its done.  The hockey community has been good to me, I've worked hard, but I've been rewarded with getting to know a lot of good kids and made a lot of friends.  

I wish I could say that now we can relax, but we are back at it with 6 ice times this weekend.  

Go wolves!

No comments: