Friday, June 24, 2016

Eight is Great!

Dear Grady,

Today you turn 8 years old.  In the last year you have grown up more than I would have ever imagined.  You want to walk to school by yourself, you have a great circle of friends, you are listening so much better, most times.  The independence that you are showing makes me so proud of you.  Yet, there is a part of me that misses that younger Grady that needed me for everything.  You no longer need me to get dressed or to help you get a snack.  You know how to operate the TV and the iPad better than me.  You shower on your own, get dressed on your own, you need me so much less then you once did.

As you get older and can do so much more on your own, I hope you always know that I am your biggest supporter.  I will always be on the sidelines cheering at sports games, helping you with your homework, and lending an ear if you need to talk.

While I see this growing 8 year old boy in front of me there are still parts of my sweet baby boy that shine though.  I love how you want to snuggle each night before bed and how you insist that I read my book in the hall while you fall asleep.  I love how you are still excited to have me in the classroom volunteering and aren't afraid to hug me in front of your friends.  I love that you want me to manage your hockey team.  Every time you tell me that you love me my heart melts.

As you celebrate your 8th birthday, I celebrate 8 years of motherhood.  From the time I was a little girl I dreamed of being a mom.  The day you were born was the happiest of my life.  I was a finally a Mom.  The time is going so quickly and I want to cherish every moment of my time with you as a little person.

Love you to the moon and back.

Mom


Now let me tell you a little about your 8 year old self.

This year was your first year of novice hockey and it was quite the step up from timbits.  You played 3-4 times a week compared to 2 times, we played in 3 tournaments compared to 1 and your love for the sport grew exponentially.  I have loved watching you play as much as you enjoy being on the ice.  When you ask me who my favorite hockey player is I say YOU!


You've pretty much given up playing with toys in lieu of sport stuff.  You like to watch sports on TV and most recently stayed up to see the Penguins win the stanley cup.  You know all sorts of odd hockey stats that I don't know or care to know.  You prefer to play mini sticks, soccer, and color.  The days of our house being cluttered with toys may be nearing an end.....


You played spring soccer with 3 of your friends.  Your team was way too competitive for the rec league.  We may have to upgrade to competitive next year.  I love the spring nights standing on the field chatting with the other parents, sometimes in the sunshine, sometimes in the rain.....  Dad was your coach again this year and I think you like having him on the field with you.  I know he loves doing it.


This spring you are also in an art class with your brother.  I love that I drop both of you off and you explore your artistic side.  You still have the love of coloring and are so detailed in your drawings.  I want you to always nurture that artistic side.

Your reading and writing continue to improve.  I wish you liked to read more than you do.  You certainly can do it but isn't' something you like to do for fun. I've bought you so many different books to try and peak your interest but you would still prefer I read to you.

You have a drawer full of shirts and you wear the same 5 all. the time.  Either your hockey/trails west shirts or the quicksilver one.  You are into matching your outfits, but to you that means wearing all the same color.  It is not uncommon for you to come down wearing an outfit of red pants and a red shirt.  I love your style.

I have lost total control in what you wear. For the most part I have given up.  I like that you choose an outfit you like and feel confident even if it wasn't something I would choose.  I only force your outfit on family photo day once a year.  So far you have obliged with wearing jeans for me this one day.

You have lost 6 teeth total, only 1 this year.  You have a wiggly tooth right now and I think you are excited after months of not getting money from the tooth fairy.

You are a saver.  You had a 50-50 party for your birthday this year where you collected $320 from your friends that was split between you and the charity of your choice.  You chose to donate the money to the Fort McMurray fires.  You promptly gathered up your money and put it in your piggy bank with no plans to spend it.  You are saving for goalie pads which you don't yet know your dad and I bought you for your birthday!


While I call you by your full name most of the time, the nicknames Gray and G seem to have stuck. I love that we have a pet name for you now.

You've started walking part of the way to school on your own.  Jasmin walks you half way up the hill and you and Alex walk to the school door on your own. While it made Dad and I nervous at first you have been so responsible about following the rules and meeting at the right spot.  Next year when Cooper is in kinder you'll have to walk from his door to your door every day, so this is a good transition for you.


You are still coming out of your shell.  You've gone from a very shy boy that only opens up with a select few to having many friends.  When I ask you before a parent teacher interview what the teacher may say about you tell me she will say you talk too much.  While some parents may not want to hear this, it is music to my ears to hear that you are engaging and sharing in the classroom.  It hasn't gotten you into trouble... yet!

Your favorite subject is math which isn't' surprising since your Dad and I are both math geeks to.  I hope that your love for numbers continues. Maybe we'll have another CPA in our family.....

It is lights out in your room sometimes before 9pm.  We've gotten out of a good bed time routine this year and I'd really like to get it back.  With that being said, you sleep all night in your own bed and have learned to stay in your room until 7am when you are allowed to come and get us up.  You only come in our room if you have a bad dream and I'll go lay with you.  While your Dad and I love snuggling with you in the morning, we have an adults only bed in our room.

You are scared of natural disasters, tornadoes, tsunamis, earthquakes, hail storms and any unusual weather event.  You check the clouds regularly to see if there is any indication of rain.  You like to see blue skies because that means it is nice out.  You are a resident weather forecaster.  Despite reassurances that there has never been a tornado in Calgary, you are always on the watch for one since a funnel cloud was spotted in Calgary last summer.  I hope you get over this fear but unfortunately, you've passed it on to your brother.  No watching the news or the weather station for you!


You are still a crappy eater.  No fruits or veggies except corn on the cob and broccoli.  I've offered you $10 to lick an orange and you wont' do it.  You love orange juice so know you would love oranges too, but no, you want nothing to do with it.

Your favorite food is Salmon.  You are a protein junkie.  Most nights for supper you have meat only since I rarely cook a carb with dinner and you won't eat the greens.  I was a picky eater to so I have faith you'll grow into a more mature food palate.


You love your brother most of the time. You have to be extra nice to him if you want him to play mini sticks with you since it isn't his favorite.  You are great at including him with you and your friends and truthfully, I think your friends kind of like him.  I hope that you always have a special friendship with Cooper.

You are such a gift in my life Grady.  Never stop being you.

Happy 8th Birthday Grady!

No comments: