Friday, June 10, 2016

Five (plus 5) on Friday - Girls Weekend Edition

{one}  Last weekend I headed north to the West Edmonton Mall to visit my BFFs from Saskatoon.  It is the most anticipated weekend of the year.  Since my Calgary side kick couldn't make it this year I drove the 3 hours solo.  Let me tell you it was a sing-a-thon the whole way there.  I was listening to the 90s dance party play list on Google Play and it kept me singing very loudly the whole way there.  Who doesn't love a little Ice Ice Baby, Larger than Life or Livin' la Vida Loco??  If you graduated in the 90s this play list is for you!

{two}  We entered the mall about 3pm on Friday and departed at noon on Sunday. We had to walk outside the mall for about 1/2 a block to get to the restaurant on Saturday night but other than that we spent the whole weekend inside while the rest of the city was enjoying a heat wave. No one seemed to care about the hot weather outside except me.  I wanted a patio with a beer and clam.

{three}  There were 5 of us that met up this year and we all stayed in the same themed hotel room.  Ours was the roman room and came fully decorated with a roman statue.  We named her Amber, Athena, Venus.  I asked a random guy on the elevator if they named their statue as well.  They did not.  But he did offer us a piece of pizza which we all politely declined.

{four}  As usual, the focus of our trip is shopping.  If you don't like to shop, this trip is not for you.  Each year there is a store that we all find success, this year I would say it was a toss up between Express and Loft.  On Friday night each of us broke the shopping seal at Loft and exited with a bag.  Two out of three of us may have walked out with this maxi dress in our bag.  I may be one of them.

A dress with pockets is a win in my books!
{five}  This could also be declared the year of the converse sneaker.  I went wearing my white shoreline converse slip and 4 of us may have come with a new pair. I, again, may I have been one of them.
Let's not kid, I got the navy ones.
{six}  Let talk returns. Each year we have a fashion show in the room when we get back on Saturday night. This year was no different.  And every year, there are a bunch of purchases that go back to the store.  Either because you no longer like, you found something better, or you spent too much money.  Up until this year I have never done a return. I am very decisive and rarely go back on my decisions.  This year I returned 2 items and exchanged 2.  What's up with that?  For the record I was still the lowest spender though my hubby doesn't believe it!


{seven}  This may be my favorite purchase of the weekend. Totally out of my comfort zone but with the encouragement of my friends I went for it.  36 isn't too old for a tutu, is it?



{eight}We had a little weekend warrior fit bit competition going on and I am proud to say that I won by 17 steps.   Can you believe that we got over 17,000 steps on Saturday shopping.  See, shopping is a sport.

{nine} While Moms are away, the kids and husbands will play!  In all honesty, James is a rock star with the kids.  He got them to soccer, 3 birthday parties, art class, and set up the pool for a play date.  As Moms we are our own worst enemy.  I fret over being away and have guilt about taking the weekend off from parenting.  Bottom line, I shouldn't.  Things were more than under control while I was away.


{ten}  I feel so fortunate to be 'doing life' with these gals.  We've known each for 20 years or more, we share a history, we share secrets, we share successes, we share failures, we share almost everything.  The tradition of escaping your responsibilities for the weekend to be goofy, have dance parties, drink wine, and make memories is one I don't take for granted.  Thank you to my friends for making this the best weekend ever.


Happy Friday!



No comments: