Sunday, June 19, 2016

Fit week in review.

I'm stealing Becky's idea from Uniquely Becky and recapping what a typical week of fitness looks like in my life.  When I think about my activity level, I wouldn't necessarily say it was crazy high, but when I document in day by day it is a reminder that I make a conscious effort to be active every day.

Monday

As most of you know, Monday is spin day!  James and I go to spin together once a week.   I love spin.  I don't love actually spinning but I love the feeling of sweat dripping off my face and my heart pounding.  It is an aquired taste.  You don't love it off the bat but you grow to love it more with each class.


Fitbit Stats
Minutes in Peak Zone: 4 min
Avg heart rate: 141 bpm
Steps: 1,649 (worn on wrist, not foot)

Daily Step Count:10,144

One problem with spin and fitbits is it doesn't count as many steps.  I choose to wear it on my wrist because I am more interested with the heart rate information but it does not help my daily step count.  I ran on the spot for 1500 steps this day just to barely make it over my 10,000 step goal.

Tuesday


Me and this Lug bag headed to the gym to work with my trainer. A coworker and I have 2 training sessions a week. Like me, she was a runner by nature.  A self diagnosed cardio junkie.  When we joined this gym almost exactly a year ago you got one free personal training session. While it was way too expensive to do private sessions, the cost was much more reasonable if you had a buddy to go with.  A year later and we still go twice a week.

This particular day we worked our core (which is my very least favorite thing to do) and shoulders.  I much prefer leg workouts.  What I love about personal training is that I would never go into the weight area on my own.  It is intimidating and I don't know what to do.  He takes the guess work out of the weight program and the size of weights to use.

The most important thing with training is finding one you like.  We've had 2 trainers since joining and we've been so lucky with both.  Both have pros and cons but what I love is that it feels like you are working out with a friend.  You are much more likely to go to the gym if you like your trainer. That and it cost you an arm and leg and you don't want to waste it!

Fitbit Stats
Minutes in Peak Zone: 0 min
Avg heart rate: - bpm
Steps: <2000 p="">
Daily Step Count: 12,588

While I do understand the importance of weights in a fitness program, I hate how it doesn't even register on my fitbit that I even exercised.  Most of the steps come from the lunges and just walking around in the gym.  For warm up our old trainer liked the treadmill but our new guy likes to rower = no steps.  I keep reminding myself I am getting stronger and leaner and I don't need cardio at every session.  This cardio queen misses the cardio workout on training days!

The only reason I made my step goal was because I walked to and from soccer.  This is one area that the fitbit really does motivate me.  I see that I haven't made my goal and I want to get extra steps in, so walking to soccer it is.  In years past I would just drive.  I get about 1500 steps each way.

Wednesday

Wednesday is cardio day!  In the winter I would go to the gym and use the stair climber (not the stepper, the actual big stair machine) and run while watching Netflix.  In the summer Wednesdays are for appointments and running outside.  After a quick chiro appointment I hit the running paths minutes from my office along the river.  I feel so fortunate to work so close to such a great pathway.  Me and 1000s of other people were on the paths this lunch hour!




Fitbit Stats
Minutes in Peak Zone: 8 min
Avg heart rate: 148 bpm
Steps: 5,309

Daily Step Count: 11,654

This run may have been my best run of the season so far.  You see, I live in a very hilly area, so when I run from home, it is far from flat.  The river path is long straight and for the most part, no hills.  I use map my run for every run to track my distance and my pace.  I ran 5.3 kms in under 30 minutes.  I was pumped.  I would love to finish my 10km next month in under an hour and I wasn't sure that was realistic, but this run gave me confidence that I may be able to pull it off!

Thursday

Back to the gym for traning session #2.




This is my actual gym.  While the World Health sign in below the Bay sign, it is actually above the bay on the 8th floor.  It is an ancient building and the elevators are old and rarely are both working at the same time.  There has been the odd time you show up at the gym to work out and you have to climb the stairs.   I don't want to workout before I workout, thank you very much.

Fitbit Stats
Minutes in Peak Zone: 0 min
Avg heart rate: - bpm
Steps: 2000

Daily Step Count: 12,698

Friday

Today there was no formal exercising.  At noon, which is my normal exercise time, I served lunch at the Drop in Center for the second time.  It was amazing how less busy it was on a nice summer day then when we served in cooler weather.  With that being said we walked a total of 7000 steps to and from the DIC, so I did get some activity!

I only know this because a coworker was wearing her fit bit and a I asked.  For the first time ever I forgot to wear my fitbit to work!  I estimate that I got just over 10,000 steps since I put it on as soon as I got home.  

Saturday

James was out of town this weekend so I didn't get a chance to get a good workout in.  Instead, I settled for doing laps around Coopers soccer field while Grady played field hockey with the older kids.  I walked about 20 minutes to get a few steps in since I knew the kids would be choosing what we did the rest of the day!

Fitbit Stats
Daily Step Count: 9,795

Sunday

The kids have art class on Sunday mornings together, so I dropped them off and headed for the park to do a quick 30 minute run.  This has been a tradition since they started the class in April.  I love getting that run in right away and most days James ran with me or another mom from the class.  Great way to start the day, except yesterday it was raining and wet.  I didn't let it stop me.


Fitbit Stats
Minutes in Peak Zone: 1 min
Avg heart rate: - 138 bpm
Steps: 5,444

Daily Step Count: 13,027

My run wasn't as good as Wednesday but I was still able finish the 5k in under 30 minutes.  Just barely.

Overall stats for the week
Total steps: 79,961
Average steps per day: 11,251
Average active minutes per day: 37 minutes

I am happy with my week.  I wish I could get my active minutes higher, like 60 minutes, but that seems out of reach.  I'd like to do more walking.  Walking to the library, to run some errands, and just to relax after a day at work.  For the time being, the kids fill the time that I would use for that and that is ok.  Someday I hope the kids will exercise with me!

What is YOUR exercise routine?


No comments: